Monday, November 5, 2007

Forging Rivers...



Depending on your age group, you may or may not remember playing Oregon Trail on the green-screens in your elementary school computer lab.  Of course, after shooting more bufalo than you could possibly carry in your wagon, it was inevitable that somebody died of dysentery.  Well, that's the first thing that came to my mind when I heard the diagnosis, anyway.  I could just see the headline flashing...”Frank has died of dysentery”.  October was a trying month.


Dead, no.  But a miserable occurrence, nonetheless.   I don't know; maybe it's just all part of the experience.  Everybody faces obstacles.  Some just involve more resilent bacterias and parasites than others.  In inordinate honesty, I've actually obtained a shameful gratification in knowing that I've persevered the irrepressible illness that has taken the lives of brave wondering wanderers such as David Livingstone, Gautama Buddha, Juana Maria and so many friends in that elementary school computer lab.

Yes, October has been a challenging month.  Before the whole dysentery episode, I was beatified with a few other stomach infections as well.  A hazard of the job, I suppose.  I've been a little red-faced to share my misfortunes with you before now.  However, seeing that it's become such a relentless reality to me, I think you ought to know.  To compound the situation, let's not forget that I lack bathroom facilities.  Unequivocally, I have been humbled.


All that said, things are moving along nicely.  When not bed ridden, I've been moving and shaking in the community.  I've been spending a lot of time at my village's school doing various activities with the kids.  I've been up in the bigger city an hour outside of my valley at the orphanage trying my best to stay busy with an array of ventures up there.  I have managed to establish connections with a group of university students in Canada who are exploring the possibility of coming down to my part of the world annually to initiate development projects.  I made some friends with a group of men who make cheese in my village, and have enjoyed observing the production of the product (a process the FDA would certainly not approve of).  I've also managed to begin conversations with an NGO based out of the US who would like me to assist in two two-week projects for students who would come to visit and implement their skills to make developmental strides in the area.  Additionally, I spent a week in Lima with one of my artisan groups.  Peace Corps organized a very nice meeting to teach basic business strategies combined with an artisan fair to sell their good.  The venue was the American embassy...a very enthralling experience; and we were very successful.  Overall, I have been blessed with numerous positive experiences.


However, upon my return, the guys I work with who make soap out of milk decided that “there's no business in soap”.  Personally, I think that there would be a very large market for cleaning products in my area.  But, what do I know?  Right?  Nonetheless, they've decided that they would rather start a business breeding cuy (guinea pigs) for consumption (a very traditional dish in my area).  From milk soap to guinea pigs...it's a bit of a jump, I know.  But I think we can make it work.  Since I don't know much about raising the tasty little buggers, I've been been reading up.  Hopefully, we succeed in our new market.  I'm thrilled at having an opportunity to learn all this not-so-practical information.  


During my down time, I've been diligently working on assimilation and integration.  Exploring surrounding areas and getting to know the people claiming residence.  I've explored cites up and down the valley.  I've bypassed the cities and marveled in the desolate stares of the spiking mountainous peaks.  I've enjoyed the screams of silence.  I've sat, I've stared, and I've wondered about what I can do to help the area without destroying the cultural dynamic which makes it so overwhelmingly interesting.  


In the Spanish language, there is a word “acostumbré”, which encompasses the English “acclimatize”, “habituate”, “inure”, “accustom”, and “adapt” all into one.  In fact, I am asked daily if I have achieved this level of integration.  My response is a well-rehearsed “yes, little by little”, which I hold to be true.  Now, if only I can persuade my stomach to prevail against the odds.

No comments: