Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Sleep Tight!







I am very eager to share that I have moved into my very own room! It came just in time too! That whole “sleeping on the floor in a room with the whole family” thing was often wearying. Having a place to retreat to can feel necessary at times. In addition to living solo, I also moved up off the floor and into a pretty legit bed. That's right, moving up in the world!

Last Monday, my family and I hiked up the mountain to the “larger” city on a mission to score me a bed. As it happens, that city was in the process of celebrating Santa Rosa for 10 days, and things were a little loco. Nonetheless, and almost immediately, we found a guy who knew a guy. Great! So, this gentleman took us too the other side of town. There, he led me into a barn type thing where it was quite apparent beds were made. From there on, we discussed what I was in the market for. My response was somewhere along the lines of “the cheapest bed that is big enough to fit me”. A huge consideration of mine at this time was having a foot board. You see, I am too big for that kind of arrangement here.

Anyway...So yeah, I shook the man's hand; we had an agreement. I purchased the bed, and arranged for it to be transported down to my village for less than half of my move-in allowance; which I think is a pretty good deal, even though it's not very nice. Afterall, it's “better to sleep in an uncomfortable bed free, than sleep in a comfortable bed unfree” (thanks Mr. Jack Kerouac). But of course, things don't always go as planned...and we hit a few bumps in the road...

Well, the guy who had the van which was supposed to transport the bed lived on the opposite side of town from the beds current location. Due to the fiestas, he was too busy chaffering people in and out of town from the neighboring villages to move my bed right away. Totally understandable.

Nonetheless, my bed needed to be relocated to his garage. Therefore, my family and I carried a full-size bed across town, in the middle of the afternoon, and during the middle of the town's biggest fiesta of the year. If nothing else, it's a pretty amusing way to attract attention. After bobbing and weaving through the crowded streets, past the shouting vendors and their thrifty customers, we dropped off the bed for safekeeping and future relocation. Meanwhile, the bullfights were about to start. Sooo, we marched back across town and arrived at the stadium just in time for me to be pulled into the center of the ring to dance with the brass bands, orchestra, and devote citizens. Believe me, you can't say “no” in such a situation...nor should you!

And there I was, spinning around the ring and experiencing the unrealness of existence. Sharing the spotlight in a queer and unfamiliar setting. Doing exactly what you're supposed to with life...“Don't think. Just dance along” (again Jack). And YeeeeeeeHaaaaaw! I danced my ass off, and it was great. Then I found a chair and watched the battles (an experience worthy of its own entry indeed).

After the bullfights, we found my mover. He had the bed strapped to the top of his combi, and was holding out until his ride was full...and full it became. In an instant, the combi had 28 people in it (including the driver...and my bed on top; way too many people for a minivan). People were sitting on the laps of lap-sitters. It was hilarious (and probably a little dangerous; especially on those roads!). I myself had a very friendly old campesina woman on my lap. She thought I was guapo.

The time for assembly came after lugging the bed up into the village and into my room. Putting it together seemed simple enough...but of course it wasn't; it's not like I bought it at IKEA or something. Boy, I've really got to get over that whole “expecting things to go as planned” thing soon!

So, my host dad had a few tools lying around that we used. We shaved a couple of boards with a Quechua tool called a “rakua”. Pretty much, it's a combination of a plane and a chisel. Then, we drilled new holes and sawed a few boards...with a hand tools, of course. Hammered the boards in, and we were good to go!

I was pumped! “Finally”, I thought. “I get to sleep in privacy...and in a bed!” Now, I new I was jumping the gun. Afterall, the cement was still sweating, I had plastic over my windows, and my ceiling was made out of potato sack material (the latter two still apply). However, I couldn't resist. Therefore, I began sleeping in my own room.

Just to add to the experience, I woke up that first morning at about 6 or 6:30 AM, just as the sun was creeping over the mountains, to discover a fairly large tarantula on the wall above my head. “GOOD MORNING PEACE CORPS! And so, I did what anybody would do...I took a picture, and then I swatted it with my hiking boot; twice! (He was a resilient little fellow).

The following day, I took the time to put up a mosquito net. Of course, it's not the mosquitoes I am concerned about. Although, it makes reading in bed easier. (I wear a headlamp, and all the bugs have been flying at my face!) I'm just hoping that the spiders choose to crawl up the net rather then into my pants...hoping and praying!

No comments: