Saturday, August 4, 2007

Where am I going?



Well, today everybody received their site assignments. It was quit an interesting day; watching my fellow Peace Corps trainees receive their destiny's. They distribute the information via a folder which contains a few pictures, a description, and your general objectives/projects. Therefore, all of what I state bellow is information I have received in writing or by word of mouth. Also, today was mustache day...so that added to the excitement of the day! As some of you may already know, I had a pretty good idea where my place was going to be in advance. More so, what I thought would happen did...and my dreams came true. So, where am I going? Where will I call home? In which part of this world will I be bringing the funk for the next two years?

I am going to a tiny city of about 500 people (about 180 families) tucked DEEP in the mountains in the department of Ancash. I have one of the most remote sites in all of Peru, and in most of Peace Corps South America (or so I'm told). More so, it is also one of the most beautiful sites (apparently).

This quaint little village is nestled in the Andes mountains, in the extent referred to as the Cordillera Huayhuash. This portion of the Andes hold the mightiest peaks and most breathtaking mountain scenery as 22 peaks pass the 6000 meter mark. The Cordillera range is the highest mountain range in the world outside of the Himalayas. More so, the snow covered saw-toothed horizon is complimented by green carpeted valleys and remote turquoise lakes.

The capital city in this department is Huaraz, which is a 7 or 8 hour bus ride out of Lima. From there, I travel another 4 or 5 hours in micro bus to a city of about 5000 people at 3400 meters. From there, my site is nothing more than a one hour walk away. Like I said, I'm WAY OUT there.

In addition to all these gnarly facts, the community also does partially communicate in Quechua (the native langue of the Inca). However, it is a mostly Spanish speaking site. Nonetheless, I have already begun my classes in Quechua (Imaynalataq Kachkanki?).

Anyway, while there, I am going to be working on several different projects...in addition to my personal projects of knitting my own hammock and carving my own backgammon board ( and pulling mountain trout out of the river). I will be working on maintaining a library (which was set up by a former volunteer (a super gnarly dude)) and promoting literacy through them as well as through the local school. In addition, I will be initiating garbage control projects and guinea pig rearing projects (the two are unrelated...don't be smart). Also, I will be working with various community clubs, organizations, and small businesses. Lastly, I will taking that hour long trek to the bigger city to work in an orphanage a couple times a week where I will be taking the kids out on hiking trips and other activities related to self-esteem or health...or whatever basic life info they seem to need help with. All this being said, Peace Corps volunteers often change plans (very often). Therefore, some of the planned projects could fall through while others are erected. Flexibility and patience are the words to live by. In the meantime, I'll just chill out and try my best!

I leave this Sunday for my site visit. I will be spending 2 days in the capital city and then 4 days in my future home. Apparently, the minor details of my living arrangements are still being worked out, as I don't have a floor in my room and will not have a bathroom to use (nor a latrine...yes, pooping in a field; the world is my bathroom). On the upside, it will be the most beautiful bathroom I've ever had...there's ALWAYS and upside!

No comments: